True definition of Knock

Len Sabatine sabatine at epix.net
Tue Jul 11 22:47:32 GMT 2000

   How About the " Low Octane " portion of the mix in the chamber igniting
before
  the piston reaches past dead stroke position , causing the piston skirt
to be "jammed"
  into the cylinder wall. The "rattle" is then transferred in to the
Cylinder case, the sensitivity
  would vary as to the physical construction of the cylinder case [block
casting] , water
  jacketing , cylinder wall core thickness , firing order and the
particular engine design's
  tendency to detonate. Add to this " which is the Hungry Hole " , the
cylinder most likely
to initiate detonation ignition response. Wonder Why there's so many
different KS locations
and sensitivity variants. The factory also factors in long term piston /
wall clearance etc,
into the  frequency response / programming.  Add a bit of oil into the
chamber and run the
lead to far BTDC should really get the pot boiling.  Then throw in all the
component damage.
While Mr. Smith's explanation is excellent , I believe it's a bit more
complex in total scope
though. Anyone is free to disagree .
Len