more details sbc in place of lt1

Len Sabatine sabatine at epix.net
Wed Jul 26 16:12:20 GMT 2000

At 07:24 AM 7/26/00 -0400, you wrote:
>LOL!  That's just proof that Asian cars are made from recycled tuna
>cans. : ) > Old DATSUN pickup beds are real proof if not rotted off !!
>
>But seriously, I think that I would transport the sensor to a
>distributor if I had the room.  I suggested the Chrysler dizzy because
>it may already have a similarly sized sensor installed.  If nothing
>else, it might be good to look at one.  The distributor used on Vortec
>pickup engines has a hall effect camshaft position sensor.  I've
>already removed the shutter wheel from one of those and started taking
>notes.
> > Vortec setup is nothing more than a "Phased " on/ off switch.

>As far as optisparks are concerned, they're junk.  100k mi reliability
>is nothing to brag about these days.  Distributor systems easily last
>longer than that without major component failure.  DIS systems on
>stock vehicles will last over 150k without trouble.  The real issue,
>IMO, is that there are no better parts to install.  It's nice to know,
>when you have the front of the engine removed and a $600 to $800 bill
>waiting to be delivered to the customer, that you're removing a piece
>of garbage and the part you're installing is a good replacement that
>will give years of trouble free service.  With the opti, you're just
>setting it up to fail again.

  If all these parts never fail , many folks won't have anything to do.
  Everything wears out sooner OR Later. Many Automotive Component
failures are a direct result of the "Bean Counters" and not Design Engineers.
  Next up MY , Auto Makers want to sell new vehicles, planned obsolescence
  is standard equipment with nearly anything.

>We even hold mini opti classes, telling Vette owners to watch for oil
>leaks, stay out of puddles, don't wash the engine....  Ever try to
>tell a Corvette guy he can't wash his engine?  Not good.

> >Yes , Wash and Wax , Lookin Good are Top priority , seems.

>Oil and water leaks are definitely a large portion of the problem.
>But they aren't the only things that cause opti's to fail.
>See what happens when you mention optispark on a day when I have to
>replace one?
  >  Probably no worse than water pump on a Chrysler MiniVan. Most late
vehicles weren't packaged  to be mechanic friendly in any manner.
  Old Boss 429 Mustang took Hours to change Spark Plugs. The
S.O.B. to repair list continues to grow.
    At the time of OptiSpark's design inception , it was forward thinking ,
functionality wise. IMHO the Optical sensor was not the right part for
the job in the hostile automotive environment. I've never been enamored
with optical ignition sensors anyway. The Mallory unit was prone to fail
the same way as the Lt1 part does. It's possible a variant can be subbed
for better reliability. Research , research .  >>> Len