1971/350 C10 EFI question

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Mon Jul 31 17:48:38 GMT 2000

Paul -- buy the TPI/TBI swapping book from JTR at www.jagsthatrun.com.
It is specifically for putting EFI engines into older non-EFI cars, and
addresses a lot of issues like fuel pumps, VSS senders, park/neutral
switches, fuel return lines, etc.

Paul Beam wrote:

> I have a 1971 Chevy C10 with a tired 350.  My dilemma is whether to deal
> with a carb when I rebuild/replace the engine, or make the jump to EFI.
>
> What do I have to acquire to use GM's ECM (TBI) on this old engine?  Any
> source suggestions?

The book will recommend, and I agree, that starting with a complete used
engine that has the ECM, wiring harness, accessories, sensors, etc. in
place will result in a much easier swap.  Otherwise you'll be chasing
sensors and stuff.  It all depends on how much of a project you want to
undertake.

> Will I have to change the fuel pump/run a return line to the fuel tank?  (I
> know that many EFI systems use a high capacity fuel pump with a return from
> the fuel rail, but I really don't know much about GM's TBI.)

No fuel rail for TBI, but there is a return line.  Best would be to try
to fit an EFI  tank w/pickup and pump in there.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet
steve.ravet at arm.com