Can an ECM "learn" how to start the car better?

JTesta1966 at aol.com JTesta1966 at aol.com
Wed Jun 14 15:04:57 GMT 2000

In a message dated 6/14/00 11:01:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
smarteney at xlvision.com writes:

<< 'll try to be brief.  At one point, something caused the car to be
 "smoking" rich when cold.  Well, long story drastically shortened, an ECM
 change ('165) was needed because there was no comm.  That ended up making
 the car run world's better under any condition, but only minimally improved
 the sudden cold-start problem.  At least it would start and after a minute
 the idle would smooth out.  Over the next few weeks, the car started better
 and better and now the >>

As I understand it, the computer uses the block learn (or equiv) values to
remember WHERE its adjustment left off. If say the car was fat, as in your
case, then when the cell was learned to lean out, that value would be used at
next startup (say blm was 110, it'd know that it had to remove that % fuel,
and applied it to warm up) Thats how I understand it, and looks like how it
is in my car. Its possible you have the injector constant a little off?

If I'm wrong, please correct me so I too may learn.

Jim Testa                                                         TType86 on
#BuickGN
ASE Master Technician
buick.fiendish.net:6667
L1 Advanced Engine Performance                          NJ Lic MV Inspector
jtesta1966 at aol.com                                  NJ Lic Emission Repair
Tech
http://members.aol.com/jtesta1966/buick.htm