Diacom help

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Wed Jun 14 23:01:33 GMT 2000

> Hello!  My '89 chevy beretta 2.8l 5 speed manual trans failed emmissions
> test (high CO, they say it means my car is running rich), so now I get to
> learn about diagnosing cars. I borrowed a diacom+
> setup, so I don't have much experience using it.  I've got a few
> questions:  When I drive, the Engine Cranking Speed changes!  What gives?
> Could Diacom be mis-interpreting the ALDL data?

I've never seen it totally sneeze on a car, if it links the data should be
there

 Also I never see the
> Park/Neutral Switch, 3rd Gear Switch, and 4th Gear Switch change.

These are for automatics typically.

> looked through my service manual and found no mention of sensors for these
> parameters.  Why would Diacom display these if they arn't in my car?

Cause same ecm program, but screen is designed to display all items for that
Vin number, vin tells engine (8th digit), not tranny or anything else

> Finally, I've only found diacom reporting BLMs for cells # 0, 1, and 2.
> Does this sound right, or could there be more?
> Thanks for your time.  So far, I have not found anything obvious.

Some of the FWD stuff can go open loop at idle (thou usually in the winter),
from the O2 being too cool.  What BL are you running.
Fresh oil change, if not that could be it right there.
Was the engine good a toasty warm, like 20-30 min freeway trip?.
How old are the plugs filters etc?
Grumpy