factory remanufactured... ?

Len Sabatine sabatine at epix.net
Fri Jun 16 17:31:22 GMT 2000

At 10:57 AM 6/16/00 -0400, you wrote:

>i just pulled the ecm out of my car just for the hell of it to have a look at
>it (i have this feeling the car isnt running so great because the seals are
>shot and water gets down in near the connections for the ecm). so anyway, i
>pulled it out...its a 1228321 ecm ('89 cavalier/automatic) but below that it
>says "ac delco factory remanufactured module..." REMANUFACTURED?? unless i am
>to believe gm was installing used ecms in their cars back in 1988, i guess
>someone replaced this thing at one point. can anyone tell me if theres any
>difference between the stock GM ecm for this car and the newer rebuilt ones?
>...or if water on your computer is really a problem at all...
>
>thanks
>-sean
      1228321 is the correct ECM for '89 Cavalier 2.0 All replacement " Modules
   are remanufactured  Delco for Field Use. New ECM - PCM is assembly line only
   and most of this scheme is connected with EPA regs, not Manufacturers.
  Unless the case or connector pins show obvious  corrosion there shouldn't
be a problem,
although a continued bath of engine coolant could migrate into the harness
and cause
problems. As an aside "flood victims usually respond to disassemble , hot
soap and
water wash , dry and your OK. Check the ECM connectors carefully and adjacent
wiring for moisture intrusion.  Reman ECM's must pass performance standards of
a new ECM - PCM . Usually modules with a history of field service
complaints are
replaced with a Revision Part number that has the same features of the original
assembly line part , less the bug that caused the field problems. Revisions
in this
regard are improved reliability in service.

Len