Andrew Mattei amattei at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 19 21:18:28 GMT 2000

Bruce Plecan wrote:

> With this I cancel asking for any ideas,
> Grumpy

Owch, but from an "outsider" perspective, here's what I saw.

We need a *frequently* asked questions list. That is in no dispute.
However, I think much of the *frequent* stuff was addressed, and we
started dipping in to the details. Where is the line drawn? Well, the
FAQ's should be enough to wet the appetite for the inquisitive searcher
to grab his shovel and go digging in the archives (even the GMECM
archives contain an incredible wealth of knowledge - but whenever the
DIY archives become available again, that'll be great). That's where the
details are found. Pepper the FAQ with links to the search engine.
Possibly incorporate a "lesson" for using the search engine in to the
FAQ. Encourage use of the search engine...

But most of all, keep it simple and concise... I think that may have
been what you were going after, but it ballooned on you...

And Grumps thinks "great, just what I needed, another opinion!" ;^)

I went through this recently on the design of my page. On my old page I
had blathered on and on (surprise!) and just typed. It got too long for
the average attention span to read. So I broke it up. No more than two
screens per page (when scrolling), with a clickable index on the left
side of the screen to quickly jump from subject to subject. I think I'm
already violating one of my rules (page length), but the intent is there
to make it more amenable to the ADHD "I can't read all this!" group (of
which I am probably a member ;) but never take the time to find out).

Just a thought, and how can I help? Bruce, if you want to put it in a
document / file / whatever, I can split it up and lay it out by subject
on different pages... I can certainly help on the formatting.

-Andrew