Mods to '85 GM TPI ECM

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Fri Jun 23 09:30:55 GMT 2000

> Yeah, there is a guy on the web who did this on his pickup.  The baud rate
> is tremendously higher on the '86-'89 ECM vs. the '85 ECM.  Is the '85 at
> real disadvantage?

Yes, especially when using a scanner or diagnostics.
If going to the 165, then also go with the 89 Calibration, best drivability
of them all.  If your going to do that then you might just think of going
whole hog, and use a 730.  Use a 92 calibration (92 Auto V-8, AUJP), and
have, all the tunibility, and ecm refinment possible.  If ya hunt in the
archives here, the is / used to be a ecm pinout for them both.  To go to the
730 means a little kludging (rewiring not quite as gm designed), and a pin
and prom change for the VSS, but can be done, and is covered, Tada, in the
archives
Grumpy
   Just noticed yours is a manual, I got some info., that if you go that
route might help calibration wise.

> Jim Brady
> '87 Monte SS 383 TPI 6 speed

ECM