Cam tuning

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Thu Mar 23 01:59:15 GMT 2000

Well, today I was replacing one of those same optisparks, and I
realized that the optispark is still a distributor, it just happens to
have an optical sensor installed.  If we can make the coil spark, then
we can run the engine, since the rotor and cap work the same way a
rotor and cap always have.  I want to check on this tomorrow, but I
think the opti disk could be replaced with one which had 8 "pie" cuts
to generate a signal for an older ecm.  Another thought is to use the
crank sensor and wheel from a Vortec smallblock.  The vortec sensor is
in the timing cover, and the "wheel" is sandwiched between the
balancer and the timing gear.
Shannen