Spark Plugs....

nacelp nacelp at bright.net
Fri May 5 16:07:07 GMT 2000

> "Oww, wow, maybe a capacitor in the plug wire, naa, don't wanna go there
> either."
> Lets go there......................for a paragraph or two  :)

> I agree totally with what your saying, previous to this.  Plugs will not
> increase horsepower, just allow the btu's to do their job.  On the
> capacitor in the plug wire thing.  Nology (I assume is what you are
> referring to), really has given the whole conceopt a bad rap.  I have
> worked with adrenaline research for quite some time on a capacitive
> discharge/wire combination that produces almost 1 JOULE of energy per
> ignition event.  In comparison, and MSD will give 105 MILLIjoules.

BUT, once the fire is off and going, what real benefit is there?.  On some
applications, if the chamber is so turbulent that it keeps "blowing out" the
initial flame front then fine it's need, but that makes me wonder about the
design logic of the chamber porting if it's that even close to being a well
executed design.

These
> are the guys that designed the ACCEL 300+ box (cause ACCEL never designed
> anything good themselves) and sold it to them.  There are a lot of
critical
> calculations involved in getting the right balance of voltage and current
> (you are right, Ohms law is a Law, it will be adhered to).  But knowing
the
> coil input voltage, coil properties, output voltage, a CRITICAL metal
> shield length can be arrived at, giving a killer spark.  It won't give you
> more horsepower, but it will fire almost anything, in any situation.
These
> guys are using it, as well as an ionization feedback loop to,

Now we're into the promised land.  Reading the ionization items.  If you
read (sorry I've lost the number) the Jacobs Patent he specifically mentions
that as part of the SCR (?) turn off strategy, and that seems to make sense
to me as far as if there any reserve of energy that is still usable, rather
then starting the recharge cycle reguardless of what the spark is doing.

 to control
> A/F ratios in F1 and indy cars.  Super high cylinder pressures, closed
loop
> control with only a spark plug.  There is something to be said about
> capacitive wires, I've seen it.  These guys have done it right.

Makes me wonder thou, what difference is there really, other then moving
where the cap is?.  Also, then is the guestion if you turn the primary off
really "hard" and fast (possibly with some reverse voltage) and use a coil
per plug what could be better?.  OK, other then lab stuff (ie micrwave), or
never never land stuff
Grumpy