New ALDL 2 transistor circuit (critique)

Malcolm Robb, LC 0112G Webmaster at lotus-carlton.fsnet.co.uk
Mon May 8 09:07:59 GMT 2000

I'm not sure this is within the scope of the lists intended use, but if you
want to flame me, please do it off list !

RS232 is almost bound to work at 0V/12V. The nominal threshold level is 1V
(+/- 0.25V of hysterysis) in my copy of the spec. Take a look at the spec
for the SN75189 line receiver - the original and IMHO still the best RS232
line receiver. (I'm biassed coz I've got hundreds of the things in my
drawer !) The only way you will get a '189 to not work is if you muck about
with the threshold voltage pin. All the other devices I've ever looked at
would also work - It isn't good practice to have the threshold of a
receiver at 0V, because a line short to ground plus a small amount of noise
will cause false receptions.

I agree that the circuit could be more susceptible to noise than a pukka
receiver, but I have had no problems with it. I can show using a storage
scope that the problems I had with corrupted data on my PC were due to the
ECU transmitting truncated data during cranking & high engine loads. And in
reality, if you are getting 5 to 10 frames a second, it isn't too important
if you loose the odd one or two due to corrupt data (IMHO).

The 10 pin ALDL connector is used on all GM/Vauxhall/Opel cars produced
here in Europe since about 1986. It is also used on a number of Lotus's,
including the Turbo Esprit, which is what Andy Whittaker has. The full
pinout of the Vauxhall/Opel ALDL connector is :