Trinoic Engine Management System

Jeremy Gonyou jgonyou at hotmail.com
Tue May 9 16:59:00 GMT 2000

I remember a few days ago, some people were talking about how cool it would
be to be able to monitor combustion properties with the spark plugs - a la
indy racing technology.

Well, has anyone heard of Saab's Trinioc controls?  Apparently they've been
doing it since 1993.  From this month's Sport compact car:

"...this engine management system measured the ionization potential of the
gases in the cylinder and could deduce the combustion conditions..."

Btw, that was a mere blurb in an article about Saab's prototype variable
compression engine.  Maybe I'm on the wrong mailing list...

Jeremy