Spark advance tuning made simple and quick?

WEG1192 at aol.com WEG1192 at aol.com
Mon Oct 2 03:33:00 GMT 2000

I have been playing around with my manual spark advance gizmo and noticed
with a timing light that even with the mechanical advance weights removed I
am still getting some RPM based advance. Its not coming from the TPI module
since it is only a jump of about 4 degrees just off idle (I have the timing
connector lose). I think it is from slop due to not definitely locking down
the rotor "mounting plate" to the distributor shaft. I am just using spring
tension right now to lock out the mechanical advance which apparently is not
enough. Anyone considering using this way of tuning spark timing will want to
fix this problem.