Long, and related to EFI ( was Re: PCV valve for TPI)

timsiford at hushmail.com timsiford at hushmail.com
Tue Oct 3 15:48:11 GMT 2000

>To finish up, I think you are unjustified in criticizing me like this.
>If I made a mistake, it was getting too enthusiastic about this
>site. Apparently, you have to lay low to keep from pissing off
>the regulars.

I have never been a follower.  I have always marched to my own beat.  I
debated about whether to reply to this post.  By doing so I am condemning
myself and probably blacklisting myself.  Oh well.  This needs to be said...

There are teachers ... good teachers and bad teachers.  They exist in classrooms
and are there to help you learn.  They point you in the right direction.
 They expect a lot from you and at the same time *help* you when you need
help.  A good teacher knows when to help ... and when to pressure you to
learn on your own.  Sometimes, they learn things in the process too.  A
bad teacher does not.  It cannot be denied that this list is -one- of the
classrooms.  Who are the teachers?  Are they bad teachers?  Good teachers?
... the real question - Do they even want to be teachers??

There are a lot of people on this list who lay low for the reason that you
mentioned.  That is ludicrous ... yet true.  I can post a question that
I KNOW someone has the answer to but chooses not to explain it.  It doesn't
matter that I have burned many PROMs to determine the trend.  It doesn't
matter that I looked through the archives.  It doen't matter that the articles
that exist on the net don't discuss the question I asked.  What does matter
is that I haven't been here as long as the teachers and I haven't 'taught
the teachers'.  Unless you impress the long standing members of this list
then you probably won't get too much respect.  This list is full of ego
... and, to be honest, sometimes I fall into that.  I have always endeavored
to take the opposite approach.  I'll share what I know with everyone that
asks me.  I am by no means an expert.  But, I don know more than the average
Joe.  I'll share what I know ... and, at the same time, refer individuals
to articles that I know will be helpful.  Hence the reasons for the thirdgen.org
PROM board and the reasons for the PROM article that I wrote (http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/promintro.shtml).
 This article is a beautiful basis for a GMECM site article.  But, it doesn't
matter.

The knowledge that people have on this list is a closely guarded secret
for many of the members.  I understand the reasons behind someone making
money off of the knowledge that you just gave them.  But, that is their
choice and their moral/ethical dilemma.  I don't view that as a reason to
not help others that have put in a *fair* amount of time to understand and
research and experiment as much as possible.

My motives are altuistic.  My goal is to help people.  More specifically,
 my goal is to help thirdgen F-Body owners as much as possible.  I have
never burned a PROM for money but I would if someone asked me and they lived
close by.  Again - I want to help people.  In order to help people I admit
that I don't know everything.  Heck - if someone doesn't want to GIVE me
the answer that is fine ... just point me in the right direction so I can
discover it for myself.  But - even that isn't forthcoming a lot of times.
 I'll continue to help whoever asks for help.  I'll continually admit that
I am no expert.  and - I'll continue to be involved on this list.  Maybe
one day ... albeit far into the future ... I'll have enough knowledge to
be teacher in THIS classroom ... and, a good teacher to boot.

Tim