749 conversion

chetwagner at uswest.net chetwagner at uswest.net
Tue Oct 3 23:13:57 GMT 2000

Well, I have finally finished the conversion I have been working on
for about a year.  I have taken a 730, not a 749, with the syty code
and converted it to work on a 79 Dodge Omni with the 1.7 litre
engine.  Nice thing about this engine is that most, if not all of the
parts, are interchangeable with VW's.  Even the cylinder head bolts
right into place, no mods.  The only part that I had to make was the
adapter plate to mount the TB from an 88 Sunbird turbo to the VW
intake manifold(the same one from the cis engines).  To make a
long story short, I set the computer to 1 bar, tweaked the injector
constant to match the injectors (trial and error), messed up the VE
tables beyond recognition, and went for a drive.  Let me just say
this:  Oh Happy Days, it actually runs, and good at that.  If anyone
has any questions, let me see if I can answer them.