Calculating VE from MAF and MAP sensors

Chris Bennight Christopher_Bennight at baylor.edu
Wed Oct 4 21:57:51 GMT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scot Sealander" <Sealand at clarityconnect.com>
To: <gmecm at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2000 6:36 PM
Subject: Re: Calculating VE from MAF and MAP sensors

|         VE = m_dot / ( N * Vol * Rho / 120 ) * 100
|
| where:          VE - volumetric efficiency (%)
|                 m_dot - mass air flow (g/s)
|                 N - crank speed (rpm)
|                 Vol - Engine Displacement (litres)
|                 Rho - Manifold Air Density (g/litre)
|
| where:          Rho = 1.202 * MAP / 101.325
|                 MAP = Manifold Absolute Pressure (kPa)
|
| You should also compensate the air density for temperature too since
| the 1.202 is air density at 20_C and inlet temperature is elevated due
| to heat transfer from the manifold surfaces etc.
|

| That was posted by Andrew Rabbitt from Orbital, a while ago.
| Much simpler, and the variables are available in the ECM.

    Looks like what we came up with - we just used the ideal
gas law to calculate Rho, so already took temp into account.

| Where are you getting "T" (air temp) in your setup?  How accurate
| do you think it is?

   On an LT1, using the IAT (incoming air temperature sensor).  It is
located a bout 4" from the TB, and excepting possibly heatsoak issues
it should be farily accurate.   It tends to run just a bit hotter than ambient.

| I make the ECM calculate VE real time, then save it in added
| non-vol RAM.  It took a while, but the results are very
| gratifying now.... ;-)

    What did you do about coasting issues?   I had to write a parser
to take out all samples that had negative acceleration - the VE values
I would calculate in these cells were WAYY off - running about 160-
200%   (since MAP was VERY low - ~20KPA, while airflow
still scaled with rpm somewhat.

    Once I parsed out these cells the VE chart definitley looks good,
just need to get enough samples in the higher rpm ranges.

  Chris Bennight