SHORT, and related to EFI ( was Re: PCV valve for TPI)

WEG1192 at aol.com WEG1192 at aol.com
Thu Oct 5 03:56:42 GMT 2000

First of all, there is a HUGE miscommunication going on. I never said I would
sell anything to anyone with any knowledge whatsoever about fuel injection. I
give out free advice all day long to co-EFIers. I also take free advice. My
intent of that last post was to say that I would refer any and all questions
over my head to this list or any of the professional "lurking experts".
Actually, I'm getting ahead of myself because I'm quite sure that anyone with
enough knowledge to know he "needs" a chip tuning, is not going to call on me
anyway.

I drove my Jeep tonight. I am thoroughly pleased with the results of my
"project". It runs like a sports car almost. And all I did was change the
basepulsewidth constant from 135 to 170 based on how far off my initial BLMs
were. I have to thank someone (can't remember his name) for saying that
adjusting the BPW was acceptable for tuning. Now if I can help another Jeep
owner get his engine to perform like mine, what is so wrong with that. And if
I have to charge for my services, why should anyone care. Like I said, I use
up ALL the profit money building a harness, cleaning and rebuilding parts,
and testing each part before reselling. The rest I practically give away.

In the engineering profession, we have professional society meetings in which
we share information and ideas. We know the information is used to improve
the profit margin but none of us hold that against each other. There is also
a rule of not reinventing the wheel. The fastest way to learn something is to
ask someone else.
People outside of this "society" could care less what we talk about and pay
us for doing what we do. All they care about is that it works.

In spite of the way I have been treated in the last few days, I plan to write
a series of web pages for beginners that explain how to put GM fuel injection
on any car. I will go into detail about how to build your own harness, a
glossary of parts and where to buy the parts, and a sort of directory on
where to find out about EPROM tuning, but from a beginners point of view. I
will give up any competitive advantage I may have had (not even sure if I had
one), but like I said, if anyone else wants to start a business doing this,
be my guest. It won't make you rich. I realize that this will be doing the
regulars a favor by keeping newbies off their backs, and in light of the
jokes, I'll still do it if the list administrator(s) want me to.

I thought of an experiment I am going to do in the next few days. I am going
to take my scantool and drive a stock 1991 Chevy C-1500 (with new motor) to
see how the BLMs and integrator numbers react. My hunch is that they will
jump around a bit just like my Jeep does. If they stay rock steady on 128,
then I have some more tuning to do. If they jump around, then its obvious to
me that GM designed the BLM logic just for the purpose of improving imperfect
tunes, and if its good enough for GM, then its good enough for me.