350 vs. 383

Dave Zug dzug at delanet.com
Mon Oct 9 03:53:05 GMT 2000

Bruce is right - to illustrate heres an answer that goes as far as the
question allows... and with MY experience (MAF)

For '165 (MAF) 1989 ARAP base TPI 350, I have changed probably more than 100
bytes.. only Half of them spark.  Most are not "nessecary" for conversion
but I did them as part of what I might do to enhance a 350. I'll speak of
the items I might do to a pure "block swap" 383:  stock iron heads, Cam,
intakes, exhaust etc... (not very smart, but for purposes of purity in
comparison). In short, in a MAF system, you need to tune the fueling (MAF
tables) in to settle the BLM's.  You also need to (if you are lucky with the
stock intake stuff) tune in the RPM based fuel adder for the RPM's that the
LV8 is maxxed, so that the o2 sensor, EGT, or plugs read a desirable AFR.
The pesky issue of there not being a proper knock sensor for anything but a
stock block requires some attention to knock safety too. Test test test.
Proper torque at the sensor or teflon tape but nothing is really absolutely
correct from what I've read.

Read tuning tips 101 definetly. Talking cc/cyllinder looks like VE changes -
alien to me ;-)

My $0.02 - More details needed and I hope to see some answers myself to
compare with my semi-feeble attempts.