Fuel Econ and Hiway Mode

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Tue Oct 10 15:24:38 GMT 2000

From: <JTesta1966 at aol.com>
> I never knew that. I was instructed in GM school that EGR's sole purpose
was
> to LOWER CC temps below 2500*. At that temp NOx is formed. Not having
proper
> EGR can CAUSE ping, but its purpose is NOT ping suppression.

Schools in general teach to about the lowest common denominator, and have a
limited amount of time to make a point.
Also, they tend to deal with theory, and between theory and execution, a
couple million other elements come into play.
As I sit and look at it, it's a chicken, and egg deal.  They are so mutual,
to even try to divouce them gets impossible, when you start looking at the
practical end of matters.
bruce