EGR Q's (was: Fuel Econ and Hiway Mode)

Tim Welden twelden at evolving.com
Tue Oct 10 20:07:26 GMT 2000

Rookie Questions (I've at least scanned the archive):

Ok, this leads to a pertinent (at least for me!) question on EGR:  One plan
of attack would be to do away with the EGR circuit (assuming emissions
"legality") and adjust the knock-retard / ignition timing / AFR curve to
compensate for the factory settings right?

My ECM is an '88 165 MAF. going on a 383 TPI with about 9.6:1 C/R and vortec
heads so I would have to cobble an external EGR connection which I have to
admit I didn't want to do.

I could also go ahead and fabricate the external EGR inlet to the manifold
and keep the circuit intact.  Any thoughts on the "best" way to go?   I do
want to keep my MAF sensor, it there a '165 eprom mapping file available?

Thanks for the advise!
-Tim-