Fuel Econ and Hiway Mode

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Tue Oct 10 20:38:12 GMT 2000

> Like Jim Testa, I also "mess" with a bunch of GN TType Buicks and simply
> raise the enable on the EGR to never, never land so that it keeps the #3
> cylinder the same temperature as the other 5 and consequently doesn't blow
> the #3 head gasket into orbit or wrap the fire ring backwards around the
> head bolts. I've seen more head gaskets blown on Buick v6's at light
> throttle in 5:00 pm traffic than at wide open anywhere else. Deleting the
> EGR usually causes a mpg loss which careful driving doesn't quite get
back.

I'd be alot more predesposed to think the #3 gasket problems are a problem
with the exhuast porting to the intake face rather then the EGR itself.
There are 3 exhuast ports leading from the center exhuast valve pocket.  By
allowing the EGR to work then that passageway gets alot more thermal
principal that is wrong.  IMHO.
  I really think the problem with EGR is cheap poorly designed executions
rather then the design.
Bruce