Help- Idle is driving me NUTS!

ECMnut at aol.com ECMnut at aol.com
Wed Oct 11 12:23:25 GMT 2000

In a message dated 10/11/00 1:11:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time, rbish at ibm.net
writes:

>  So pull some timing out is what you are saying?  Being at 6300 feet I
>  reasoned I needed more timing.. but I'll see if that makes a diff.

Most likely, yes.. but more importantly, make sure there are no big
changes in timing in the table locations where it is trying to idle..
Chances are good that the location is different (due to lower vac)
than where it used to idle when it had the stock cam.  If the ecm is
trying to stabilize the the idle speed, and the timing is jumping around
due to slight map changes, it is probably going to show on your
scan tool too..  Look at the timing closely.  Shooting from the hip,
I vote to take a little out, as well as to take a 3x3 section of the
spark table and making the numbers the same, just to stabilize
that variable.  Then, when you've verified (scan tool) that the timing
is stable at idle, work more on the fuel..
Mike V