Fuel Econ and Hiway Mode

Tedscj at aol.com Tedscj at aol.com
Wed Oct 11 22:25:39 GMT 2000

In a message dated 10/11/00 8:30:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jgonyou at hotmail.com writes:

> Wouldn't the advantage from EGR come from an inert gas in the cylinder,
>  >thereby increasing the effective compression ratio at part throttle
(filling
>  >up the cylinder with something other than precious fuel and still allowing
>  >the mixture to be close to stoichometric)?
>

>  It may be inert, but it's still compressible.  No help there.

I don't think he was implying that inert gasses aren't compressible,
just that...more gas volume (but not more petrol) + same cylinder volume  =
higher compression=better efficiency.   (of course, that's assuming all other
things being equal...which they never are!)