EGR Q's (was...)

Tim Welden twelden at evolving.com
Thu Oct 12 15:02:52 GMT 2000

Thanks for the replies!  Here's a little background on my project:

My setup is a '88 L98 TPI stroked to 383, KB -18cc dish pistons, Comp
X4258hr cam, and vortec heads.  The whole setup is in a Jeep built for
rock-crawling so that's why I went with the hi velocity/low volume heads and
cam maxed for low end torque.  With the vortec's there are no internal EGR
provision and so it would mechanically be much cleaner to block off the egr
solenoid mount with a plate than try to build a external egr system.  The
700R4, harness, and electronics are directly from the donor IROC so for the
most part it's a Camaro in heavy, boxy sheet metal :^)  I don't ever expect
to see the high side of 5K rpm so I don't think I'll run into any problems
with excessive air restriction due to the MAF. Jeep things break very
quickly at WOT in the rocks!

The only reason I think the MAF /'165 setup *might* be better is that I see
a lot of altitude changes on a regular basis and (intuitively) metering on
actual airflow seems like it would be more accurate than the manifold
pressure method (I could be way off base here!)  Also I believe the MAF
should meter better at the off-idle transition which pretty much sums up my
operating range.  The drawback is that the MAF sensor is more fragile but in
2yrs of abuse, I've never had a problem with it.  I think I'm like a lot of
folks on the list in that if the MAF sensor breaks, MAP will look much more
attractive!

Obviously, a cam with a lot of overlap wouldn't be too good for the low end
so rumpety-rumpety is out.  As far as emissions go, my Jeep is pre '82 which
means that here in Colorado it only has to pass tailpipe sniffer (shouldn't
be a problem) and visual which depends on who you get to do the test and
what kind of mood they're in.

Sounds like my first EPROM foray will be to set the egr min. temp to $FF and
go from there.  I'm sure I'll be asking for help as time goes on so thanks
for your collective wisdom, advice, and patience in advance!  Dan:  I would
be very interested in a copy of your '165 .ecu file; maybe I can 'beta' test
it!

-Tim-