Newbie help

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Sat Oct 14 23:38:49 GMT 2000

Andrew McRory wrote:

> Well thanks to all who replied!! I have the entire archive downloaded and
> am getting up the strength to try and absorb ~20MB of text -wheee!

Yeah, the amount of info is definitely overwhelming.  I didn't send
you to the archives as a brush off, and if you have specific questions
feel free to ask.  Lotsa stuff gets covered lotsa times, so you may
get a "look in the archives" type answer.  Specific questions get
better answers.  Asking general questions like "what system should I
use" can get a whole range of opinions and answers, enough to leave
your head spinning.  Lotsa times, most of 'em are right, too. : )

TBI systems are easier to relate to if you have an understanding of
carburation.  TBI is a "bridge" between carbs and port fuel systems,
and lotsa carby type thinking transfers to the understanding of tbi
tables and operation (when you get to that point).  Lotsa first
conversions are to TBI, just because the parts are usually much
cheaper.  I've bought manifold/throttle body/ecm/harness together for
$100, and that's a little steep for the good shoppers.

Get a general plan in mind first.  EFI is such a broad topic that
you'll quickly get lost in it if you don't have a specific goal.  What
are you thinking of converting?

> I gather this list is about GM_EMC recalibration and not really to do with
> selecting the parts to use (should already be there if on this list) so
> sorry for the off topic post!!!!

It's not that big a deal.  If you do the conversion, you'll end up
wanting to recalibrate.  You should sub to both lists.  You can always
save the confusing posts for later reading.  And the CSH stories make
some great reading when cut-n-pasted into one file.
Shannen