7747 spark control questions.

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at home.com
Thu Oct 19 01:55:40 GMT 2000

All this talk about "actual" delivered spark advance timing, sparks (sorry
about the pun) me to relay the following and ask a simple question in
return..........

Buried in my file cabinet  (upstairs, far from the wine cellar and
computer),  I have a flyer and an article that described what I thought was
an ingenious instrument at the time.  All of this is probably 7-9 years old.
This instrument would measure the actual spark advance of an engine, based
upon the location of a magnet positioned circumferentially on the harmonic
balancer, and displayed that value as a simple two digit signed read-out on
a round faced red LED.  A driver could either focus on the LED numbers as
they happened, or data log things for post analysis.

By the time I got around to inquiring about it, the inventor/manufacturer
had plunged into seriously bad health.  I had a chance to speak to him
briefly about it over the phone, but when I called back a couple of weeks
later to order one I was informed that he had passed away and that the
product would no longer be produced/sold.

I know it's dirt simple to use a PC based O-Scope to do the same (I have one
here that I use), or even a DAQ system, **BUT**, I think it would be really
cool to have a dedicated spark advance "gage" mounted in the cockpit so as
to be able to read/observe where SA is really at without having to drag out
the laptop each time.  Is this something that a DIY'er could reproduce,
and/or does anyone have a lead as to where this thing may have left-off?
Thought it was a neat idea at the time for CAL'ing and diagnosing, that's
all.  If it was available today, I'd probably order two or three..........

Walt.

If anyone's interested, I can dig-up the flyer, as well as the guy's name.