Automotive Oscilloscope

Shawn Lin slin01 at mail.orion.org
Sat Oct 21 14:11:30 GMT 2000

Daniel Collins wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a oscilloscope that is portable, preferably digital
> storage, that interfaces with a pc that is suitable for use in a vehicle
> while driving to monitor spark and ecu outputs ?

I use a PC-based oscilloscope, the Tektronix TWD120.  It can save
waveforms as images, etc.  Totally PC controlled, runs in Win3.1, 95,
and 98.  It's about 2-1/2" or 3" tall, and the footprint is about
11"x8.5".  It's flat on top so you can set a laptop on it.  It
interfaces via SCSI-2 port.  It's a dual-channel 100MHz Digital Storage
Oscilloscope.  Mine came with a pair of brand new Tek probes, SCSI
cable, terminator, power supply brick, manuals, and carrying case.  I
found it on Ebay.  A company occasionally sells them there for starting
bids of $150 and that's usually what they go for.  I replaced a
conventional 15MHz analog scope with it, and I must say the features of
the Tek are very impressive, especially for the price.

Shawn