A few newbie questions...

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Wed Oct 25 21:27:43 GMT 2000

> > You'll only hear it when you exceed the amount of retard the chip
allows,
> if  you hear it pining, get out of it!.
> I don't think that will happen, but I'll keep an ear out..

Argh, don't rely on a K?S and ecm to foolproof your tuning, or allow for bad
gas, they can be beaten.

> > >The O2 levels
> > > looked OK (.876-.920) but that is with a Bosch sensor from Pep Boys..
> The disturbing part was the amount of KR being dialed in!
> > The O2 dialed in KR?.
> I didn't mean that.  Sorry if it came out that way.  I meant that it was
> disturbing me as to why the ECM was dialing in that much.  Doesn't seem
> normal, but I'm very new to this.
> > >It goes from 3-20 degrees.  It varies from 17-20 degrees at 5000-6900
RPM.  When this
> > happens my total advance drops to 12-16 degrees.
> > Just like it should.
> Ok.  Do you think that little advance is normal?  (I realize you probably
> have no reference with this engine)

No, 12-16 is not gonna get good performance, the fact that dials out 12-16
is that the K/S is working and the remaining advance seems about right when
added to the retarded amount.
You need to find out why it's pulling that much timing out.  Alot of chips
are set at a max retard of 15 in PE, so you may be in trouble here.

> >  My calculated duty cycle at these RPMs is 70-90%.
> > > So is the Bosch sensor incorrect, or does it not really matter what it
> > says?
> > In general ignore it..
> Will do.

> > I tried changing the
> > > knock
> > > sensor and that didn't help either.  Perhaps this is some mechanical
> > > noise?
> > Always that chance.

> I guess anything is possible with 115,000 miles...

Oil from blow by can do it, might do a leak down test

> > > Does viewing a dyno run help anyone with this?
> > Maybe for finding an exhuast rattle.

> I have checked all heat shields (there are none under the car now) and
> looked for ANY type of contact.  So far none.  I even took extra measure
and
> bent anything even close back with a hammer.

Can be the *fan belts* altern bearing any spinning at about crankshaft speed
can set it off
Bruce