Gas mileage and headers

Len Sabatine sabatine at epix.net
Thu Oct 26 15:46:28 GMT 2000

   Re Fomuluated Gasoline contains [ MTBE] Oxygen Bearing Compounds,
   which will trigger the O2 # to ADD FUEL, which is indicated by your ST
   Fuel Trim hovering in the low 120s. The ECM is Subtracting Fuel to
compensate.
  The headers also have increased  scavenging , which will increase total
air flow thru the engine.
   The O2 placement is most likely farther down stream than the factory
position, which
   tends to slow down it's response. All of these changes point to re
optimizing
  your Fueling , Spark and EGR response settings. RFG usually reduces fuel
  mileage 2 MPG on many vehicles. Interesting how RFG is supposed to help
  improve  air quality , while consuming MORE FUEL. Another Govt brain
storm gone astray it appears, RFG will be phased out within 3 years from a
recent fed law change. When the MTBE is removed in the spring , operating
conditions
will change again , tune to the best compromise with pump gas.
Len