Gas mileage and headers

Guenther, Max [ASCO/PA] Mguenther at ASCO.COM
Thu Oct 26 17:10:05 GMT 2000

I'm not talking mpg, I'm talking WOT.  Power output per CID.  Alcohol does
allow higher compression, but not much higher than racing fuel.  I believe
the big gain in alky is the presence of oxygen,  and oxygen is the limiting
factor of any IC engine.  Even if BTU's per pound are less than non oxygen
enriched fuel, the density of liquid fuel does not begin to compare with the
density of air.  (even if alcohol is half the density of gas it more than
makes up for the BTU difference because it brings in O2).

Just trying to make sure I have the concept down close to right.
Max