EPROM Question

Dig turbodig at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 27 14:59:53 GMT 2000

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 23:38:19 EDT
From: ECMnut at aol.com
Subject: EPROM question

I got some 27c128 chips from a friend, for
use in our 749 ECMs.  I was previously using
27128a-200
chips.  Are the 27C128s fast enough or will I be
burning "limp home" specials?  They are AMDs
and don't have a speed number on them.Thanks,Mike V-
-----

Nope, they should work fine, as long as they're not
*really* slow. (Which would be odd for CMOS)

The C is for CMOS, the transistor technology the chip
is based on. They're normally faster parts than the
non-C versions.

Due to the technology differences, the C chips have
different thresholds for "High" and "Low" than do
normal TTL chips. In practice, though, you'll never
have issues with it.

I've used the following successfully in the 749:

27c128
27c256
27c512
27128

AMD/TI/National seem to work the best. I have had
issues with NEC parts.

A side note...

I'm having issues trying to get the ATMEL AT29C256s
to burn properly on the Pocket Programmer. Shannen
and I tried to make them work at the EFI POWWOW, but
didn't have much luck. The 512 versions I had worked
fine.

For those that have used them, what did you use to
program them, and what version was the S/W? The PP
seems to have weird version control, as the later
numbered versions have fewer chip types than some
of the earlier ones.

Thanks,

Dig
turbodig at yahoo.com