Low power 5.0 TPI

OneSS2NV at aol.com OneSS2NV at aol.com
Sat Oct 28 04:00:08 GMT 2000

In a message dated 10/27/2000 4:37:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
nwester at eidnet.org writes:

<< 217 EXH at 0.50
 212 INT at 0.50
 1.6 ratio rockers, Dart heads ported, 9.35 actual
 comp ratio. With 94 octane--it apparently only pulls timing to 24 at WOT.
 They haven't checked the AFR's at WOT on a dyno--but the O2 numbers
 remain 900+mV at WOT "cruise"--seems to me like a mondo exhaust or intake
 restriction....but this thing has apparently had new, new, new stuff
 everywhere >>

Well, lets see.  My combo is a '87 305 TPI with '165 (stock chip), with World
Products Heads (58 cc chambers, 1.94, 1.50 valves) and the cam is a Crane
Compucam with 208 INT @0.50 and 214 @0.50 (.438/.452 gross lift int./exh.)
Intake manifold is stock, except for grinding down the wall in the upper
plenum behind the TB, and an air foil in the TB.  Using an adjustable fuel
pressure regulator, I've gotten the O2 volts to .85 at WOT (according to the
tech section of thirdgen.org, that's where it should be) and all my numbers
are more or less in spec.  I'm running around 9 deg. base timing (instead of
6), and it advances to 34 deg. at WOT, and MAF reads around 170 g/s at WOT.
I have an automatic, and it pulls hard all the way to 5300 in 2nd by itself
before shifting into 3rd.
   Is it possible they still left the stock TB on the motor?  If they put
those monster heads and such on it, it may need more air.  What size is the
combustion chamber with those heads?  I always thought the big chamber would
make the 305 like a dog, that's why I used the World Heads.  How about the
cam?  If the ratio is increased a bit more because of the 1.6 rockers, it
might be too high-winding of an engine to use a TPI setup...they may want to
try a Superram or some other animal like that.

        Good luck,
           Steve Ragusa
            North Jersey
      '85 Monte SS with '87 TPI 305