head gasket

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Mon Oct 30 15:07:46 GMT 2000

> Ok - due to running way too long with too much advance or something else
bad,
> I hope/pray that I now have a blown head gasket.  My engine is slightly
down
> on power, gives off clouds of whitish smoke after running for a few
minutes
> (which goes away later), and has been using water.  I sure hope it's not a
> cracked block or head!  My question is this . . . what can I do to prevent
> this in the future!  I am using edelbrock aluminum heads, have arp bolts
> torqued to 75ftlb, using felpro gasket for aluminum heads and run a 160
> thermostat which maintains 159.4F in the summer.  I do lean on it good at
> least once a day though.
> Also, what does detonation sound like with aluminum heads, perhaps I dont
> know.  Is it more like a water rushing sound than the rattle tink I am
used
> to?  (I get a noise like that at part throttle/hgih map, but get no knock
> counts.  If I turn the timing up , I will get knock counts but no audible
> detonation.  If I turn the timing up even more, I can get audible
detonation
> in the rattle-tink form.  I am running 34 degrees total at WOT by 3600,
and
> never less than 15 anywhere.  cruise from 20-55kpa at 2000 is 44 deg.  47
deg
> at 2400.  How are these numbers compared to what others are running with
al
> heads.

Way too high on WOT
I was running 28-30d  (Using the vette AL heads)
And too much is cruise
Matter of fact your beyond the limits of the gm distributors for the SBC
Also, too cold.

Yes I know that every engine is different, but small block chevys are
> preety much a known quality.  Am I in the ballpark here or what?  I know
you
> want 36-38 at wot on iron heads, and more initial and less total with
> aluminum heads.

Sorry it may have happened, maybe others will learn from this, and read the
archives, and related materials more.

Damn, I hate when this happens, I try to write enough about tune up, so that
folks do get it, and well, never mind, rant mode off
Bruce

> Thanks for listening to my electroyappin!
> Ryan Hampl

     I'M ALWAYS FIRST TO THE GROCERY STORE!

Not with a blown H/G