spark data on 1993 TBI 5.7 engine

Jason R. Haines jhaines at lingenfelter.com
Sat Sep 2 15:53:03 GMT 2000

> Jason, I've had the same trouble with some other applications. The prom
> you're using has been updated. This has fixed some of my scan tool blues
> before. Anyway, the new part number for you is 16220790. The BCC is
BPSJ/0790
> and id is 0791. If all else fails try scanning it as something similar, it
> may show data.
> AL
> BTW, does the TECH1 have a blank area where the spark output should be? If
so
> try scanning in diagnostic mode instead of road test mode.

Neither the Tech 1 or the Tech 2 seem to have any blanks. I tried diagnostic
mode and road test mode. I will try and track down an updated PROM and see
if that cures the problem. Otherwise I will just have to have someone watch
the timing light while I drive the car down the highway 8-). I guess I'll
just hope all of my problems are fuel related (I have a wide band O2 but no
spark recording device).

Jason