B Codes

Peter Gargano peter at techedge.com.au
Mon Sep 4 22:55:08 GMT 2000

WEG1192 at aol.com wrote:

> <snip>     .... Since they are
> not speed density V8 MEMCALs, what good are they?

Are you implying *only* V8s are worthy of tuning?

> Even if you can reprogram
> the EPROM, the ESC circuit and resistor pack is worthless for a V8, right?

It's my understanding that the analogue RFD calibration circuit,
aka. NetRes, or CalPac, work irrespective of MAP vs MAF, and they
only "work" in limp home mode.

OTOH, the FMD determines the cylinder count from the NetRes too,
but, as has been pointed out before, the NetRes's cylinder count can
be changed with an extra resistor across two pins of the MemCal.

The knocksensor signal conditioning circuit ("ESC circuit") should
be specific to a motor and/or the sensor's placement.

> One thing I have noticed is that all my V8 TPI MEMCALs have black bodies and
> the V6 MEMCALs have tan bodies. Maybe this is just a coincidence but maybe it
> will help identify MEMCALs at a glance in the future. Can anyone contradict
> this?

I have some 4 cyl MemCals that are brown.

Peter.