LT-1 Heads

Romans, Mark romans at starstream.net
Tue Sep 5 02:58:27 GMT 2000

Hi Carl:  Here's what I found.
http://www.idavette.net/hib/ls1c.html  More below.

Cooling the Traditional Way

Remember 1992, when Chevy raved about the Gen II's reverse-flow cooling?
Well, reverse is, apparently, out. The new engine uses conventional pushrod
V8 cooling. Coolant is pumped into the block, around the cylinders, up into
the heads, then out to the radiator. The reason Gen II went reverse was
that, to make the power Corvette Development wanted; it had to have a higher
compression ratio (LT1, 10.2:1; LT4, 10.8:1). Higher compression made for
detonation. The cooling system was revised to run the cylinder heads cooler
as an antidetonant strategy, and to run the cylinder bores hotter for higher
oil temperature and less friction. Clearly, reverse-flow cooling, the
publicity darling of the Gen II engine, was really nothing more than a fix
that allowed the limited cooling of the old Small-Block head to work with
the higher compression necessary to reach the 300 horsepower level.

Air in the cooling system becomes problematic if it gets into the water
passages surrounding the combustion chambers. This often causes localized
boiling and that, in turn, allows hot spots to develop on chamber walls and
they cause detonation. The problem with reverse flow is that with coolant
flowing downward and air bubbles flowing upward; keeping air out of the Gen
II cooling system was difficult.

Though the LS1 has a lower static compression ratio; its cylinder heads have
improved combustion chamber design and intake ports that breathe better.
Those features allow them to make more power. The clean-sheet-of-paper
approach also allowed design of the cooling passages around the chambers to
be more efficient such that the engine can put out more power than the Gen
II but yet have coolant flow in the conventional direction to eliminate
problems with aeration. With a better combustion chamber and water jacket
design and improved antifriction technology in the block, pistons and rings;
it made sense to go back to the normal-flow cooling system.

Like most engines of the last 20 years or so, the LS1 uses a 195 degree
thermostat. Nominal coolant temperatures are similar to what we see in LT1/4
engines. The new engine will use "Dex-Cool" coolant introduced last year in
many GM vehicles. Dex-Cool has entirely new anticorrosive chemistry that is
longer lasting and more friendly to cooling system parts, especially seals.