Introduction and 2 questions

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Fri Sep 8 08:14:21 GMT 2000

Mark Grave wrote:

> However, I can't find any detailed information on my '8746. Is this
> ECM some sort of old relic? Was it replaced by a new p/n? Or does people
> upgrade the whole ECM unit to a better 8192 bauds? Is it easy to do so? I
> know that TBI trucks seem to have better ECM capabilities and
> "DIY"-information.

The '8746 uses the same hardware as the common well understood '7747
truck ECM, except the '8746 has newer software.  Because few people hot
rod a Caprice, the '8746 hasn't been hacked.  Because the '8746 hasn't
been hacked, few people build hot rods with it.  Because few ...

Bruce's suggestion would be to simply convert to the '7747 ECM.  If
you're dead set on using the '8746 and are willing to do some work, you
can probably "chip" the '8746.  The software in it has a family
resemblance to the '7747 software.  I have a complete dump of the ROM of
a '8746 if that would be helpful to you.