why the big difference in ECUs?

Romans, Mark romans at starstream.net
Sun Sep 10 22:06:47 GMT 2000

There is more to it than this.  (I'm not saying that the ecu's aren't
different, I don't know) it's probably the code.
I have a friend who has an 89 TA GTA that he installed a 6 speed in.  (He
also has a vortech)
When he installed the 6 speed he started having a problem with the idle
speed flaring on hot start and
hanging for a while at about 1800 rpm's. I tried an 89 305 5 speed bin and
it resolved the hot start problem,
but obviously wasn't right for the350. I tried to apply all the settings
from the fully dialed 89 Auto Trans 350
to the 305 bin.  All the fuel settings, spark, injector constants.
Basically every setting available in the latest
version of GMe.
Then I did a file compare.  About 11,000 differences out of 16,384!!!!!!
Turns out the whole fuel strategy is different.  The 305 was set to single
fire for starters.  I finally took about 60
iac control settings and plugged them into the 350 bin.  Seems to have
reduced if not eliminated the problem!
On second thought, it's probably not the ecm, it is differences in the bin
file from one year to another that
may not show up in the tuner.
Mark