GM 2.8L V6 ALDL

Peter Gargano peter at techedge.com.au
Thu Sep 14 00:40:58 GMT 2000

"Shawn R. Lin" wrote:

> I can get chatter from my '89 Olds Cutlass Supreme (2.8L V6 VIN W).

What does this "chatter" look like?

> However, I can't get it to spit out Mode 1 data (or any other mode for
> that matter).  I've tried sending it the Mode 1 string for the Lotus
> 4-cyl, '93 LT1 Camaro, and even tried sending it the string that's
> preprogrammed into ScanTool.exe.  No luck.  Carbytes 2.0 shows that it
> just echoes back.

The echo is (probably) from your interface, not the ECM.
Most interfaces will echo back what is sent -  without the
ECM doing anything.

> For some reason, repeatedly transmitting the Mode 1
> string for LT1 causes Carbytes 2.0 to lock up.  CTRL-ALT-DEL shows
> "CarBytes [Not Responding]" and "MsgSrv32 [Not Responding]".

All ECM code that I've seen ignores frames that it doesn't
accept, or it doesn't recognise, or has a bad checksum, or
is transmitted when it's transmitting itself, etc.

It'll just sit there looking dumb until it get what it wants

    [hmm, sounds like a old girl fiend. (... Sorry ;-)]

Peter