29C256 Flash works great!

Shawn R. Lin slin01 at mail.orion.org
Thu Sep 14 19:38:56 GMT 2000

I finally got around to replacing the 27C256 EPROM in my MEMCAL with an
Atmel 29C256 (flash ROM).  I put a socket in the MEMCAL to make it
easier to pull the chip for erasing/programming.
I'm happy to report that the 29C256 works GREAT, and it programs FAST!
Only takes about a second! It is fully pin-for-pin compatible with the
27C256.

It costs $3.96/each and I bought it from JDR Microdevices
(http://www.jdr.com).

I figured it was a lot cheaper than buying a UV eraser.  It programs
faster too.  I haven't tried programming and then erasing one, but I
imagine erase is probably super fast as well.

Shawn