Serial 160 baud ALDL -- was Re: Impala SS PCM

Peter Gargano peter at techedge.com.au
Fri Sep 15 23:54:01 GMT 2000

Louis Baiani wrote:

> Hey, I finally got the aldl adaptor to work properly...remember me and the HEI
> causing the funny data output?  Well looks like using the CTS signal wasn't a
> good idea on that laptop..that was causing all the problems with the
> data...everything is stable now.

Louie, thanks for the feedback on using my new 160 baud serial
interface with my new ALDL DOS program on your 1226519 (closed
loop carburettor control) ECM. I really appreciate getting field
information that just can't be duplicated on a bench setup.

This has also shown me that while my original CTS interface to
160 baud ALDL did work, noise was always going to be a problem
just because of how it worked. Using the UART's Rx buffer at
between 3,200 and 3,600 baud (rather than its modem status change
logic) solves your noise problem because the ALDL data is sampled
at a specific point in time, rather than timing a data "edge" that
can itself be (and was in your case) a noise pulse (from your HEI
module).

Thanks also to the couple of people who have done some logging
functionality testing on ALDL.exe - I want to improve the data
display before I release version 2.0 (this release may also support
8192 baud).

Again, if you want to be a "Beta Tester" in the next week or
two, drop me an email with your ECM type number in the body
of the email and I'll send a Beta copy when it's ready:

  mailto:peter at techedge.com.au?subject=ALDL%20ver.%202.0%20Beta%Test

Remember - this is a minimal DOS program to display (and now log)
ALDL data.

Peter