Flashing

Peter Gargano peter at techedge.com.au
Sat Sep 16 01:26:12 GMT 2000

Bill Shaw wrote:

Re: Diagnostics

> That's how we reflash the P66s.  Download the re-programming code to RAM then jump there to execute it. A P4 with 29C256 might be re-flashed that way also,  if you can write tight enough code!

Do you have an "image" of any flash code that gets downloaded
to actually do the flashing?

It'd be interesting to see what checking they do. I don't think
the code would have to be that "tight" - what's it got to do?
Check the following ALDL data's checksum, write to a "block"
of memory, and wait until it "flashes", then maybe check that it
wrote okay. Also, the later P4s and the P6 (and up) processors
have more on-chip RAM to play with.

Of course, you'd need a WRITE signal on your P4 memcal, but that's
pretty easy to obtain...

Peter