29C256 Flash works great!

Peter Gargano peter at techedge.com.au
Sat Sep 16 18:29:51 GMT 2000

Squash wrote:

> i'm using 150 and 200 ns chips...

> --- timsiford at hushmail.com wrote:
> > My 27C256 chips program in about 20 seconds.  I am using 90 nanosecond chips.

90/150/200 nSec - these are the access speeds of the chips,
ie. how long it takes to read the data back after the address,
read, and chip enable signals have been supplied to the chip.

The program speed is another thing again. On an uV EPROM (ie.
a normal EPROM with a quartz window) is can take up to 50 mSec
to program each location, although some newer EPROMs will
program thousands of locations in this same time. On a Flash
device, data is programmed in blocks and the writing speed
can be as fast as the access speed, with a wait for each "block"
of data to be actually stored in the tiny capacitors that hold
the charge after the device is turned off.

Peter