Driver Boards

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Mon Sep 18 20:07:40 GMT 2000

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 12:19:07 EDT, DRhoads2 at aol.com wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Sep 2000 , "Walter Sherwin" <wsherwin at home.com> writes:
>>
>> I'm not a member of efi332, but I am on DIY and gmecm, and fiddle with efi
>> as a hobby.  I've heard much mention as of late of your external device
>> driver boards, as well as a forthcoming group buy of same.  Could you
>> forward some detailed info/specs as related to this product?  Particularly
>> with regard to driver count, configurability, driver capability, and
>> environmental limitations.
>
>AND
>
>On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, "Bruce Plecan" <nacelp at bright.net> writes:
>>Is it a go, and if so are there any prices, or more info anywhere
>>Hate to be a bother but, just might be needing to run 6 P+Hs
>>Thanks for your time
>>
>>Bruce

>Yes, I am organizing this.  The group buy for my combo driver board is "Official".
>... <snippetty dodah>

Yous guys contemplating using DR's driver boards on your OEM TPI or
TBI setups, ought to make sure to check with DR as to whether these
are going to work for you if you drive all (or even half) of those INJ
drivers all at once on his board, ala batch or bank mode.

This issue was raised on EFI332, but I doubt if it made it to the
GMECM list; DR's particular design makes use of a shortcut in sharing
multiple Cherry drivers on ONE "load resistor" (if you're familiar
with the Cherry Driver circuit, that's the 300ohm 2W big R, normally
assigned one per driver); hence, there was some concern about too much
VR drop across these resistors if many/multiple drivers were to be
turned on at once. Since the common usage on EFI332 is SEFI I guess it
was assumed this would be OK, but since it's usually batch or bank on
GMECM, this might be something to get cleared up before you launch.

I haven't looked at the design since it was first reported, so I dunno
if any of this has changed; just thot I should interject a caveat
since the application is a tad different. If this old/stale/dated
news, I beg pardon.

Gar