aldl stuff

Andrew K. Mattei amattei at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 19 19:11:27 GMT 2000

> > > Is a 9-volt battery enough to power the circuit?
> >
> >5 Volts is what anything gets regulated to, and we're talking
> >just milliAmps, so yes a small 9 Volt (type 216?) is fine.

> There are some laptops that don't have the required current (even though
> it's really low) to power the circuit thru the modem signals... I believe
> Toshiba is the worst.

As a data point, the circuit I've been selling draws about 3 mA when using
the MAX232 (4 transistors and the MAX232). It draws even less (but I've
never measured it, but the Vin is higher) with the LTC1383CN. It's worked
via port power on a whole range of laptops, except one person's Compaq
(right Ken?).

I will concur that the 2-transistor circuit would draw less current. I've
built and sent out a few of them, they seem to work well, but I'm still a
bit apprehensive about them for some reason.

-Andrew