Lincoln - GM EFI Conversion

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at home.com
Wed Sep 20 01:41:46 GMT 2000

Assuming you are after a TBI unit based on what has been written, and not
just a TB, any junkyard 454 from 1987 thru to 1995 with a TBI setup will
have a twin 2" blade TBI unit capable of 670 CFM @ 3"Hg pressure drop.  Take
a look at the engravings on the injectors.  If 17084304 (service part #
17112560) then get them cleaned/checked and go have fun.  If 17111784, then
get them cleaned/checked and be prepared one day to replace them with
17112560 when they stop working.  Any other number I'm not so sure about
(post 93 will be another number).  If anything less than a Medium Duty truck
then the injectors will be of the large MAXI TBI variety.  By the way, all
the SS trucks from 90-93 used the '2560 injector along with their workhorse
cousins thru to the end of the 93 model year.  The TBI fuel pressure
regulators will be either 9-13psig prior to 94, or 26-32psig after 93, so
pay attention to the application you yank it from.  These are easy to swap
at only about $40 Cdn each.

You may also bump into a few junkyard Medium Duty trucks.  These will have
twin 2" blade TBI's, if TBI equipped, but they'll also have an electronic
throttle governor grafted on one side.  This can be removed and worked
around.  They'll have a different style of MINI TBI injector, commonly
available as service # 17112202, and engraved "5401".  These too are good
project material.  These regulators will be set for 26-32psig.

The vast majority of 2bbl TBI parts and injectors/pods will interchange/swap
with great ease.  Despite varying pressures and configurations, the above
setups all deliver in the neighbourhood of 75#/hr max per injector at their
setpoints, for a total of roughly 150#/hr of max fuel delivery.  If your
project needs more fuel, then you'll have to raise the differential fuel
pressure.  The '2560 will withstand up to 70psig.  The '1784 won't take more
than 30psig.  The '2202 will take up to 70psig.  All this assumes one 4/1
driver per injector.

Or, you could move to a Holley 4bbl TBI, which will give up to 900 CFM @
1.5"Hg and as much as 312#/hr.  Yeah,  use a GM ECM/PCM to control it, but
be aware of resultant need for external injector drivers.  Keep the fuel
pressure at around 15psig, but absolutely no more than 18psig or the
injectors may stop functioning.

Walt.

> Ross Myers wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
>
> > What U.S Cars/Trucks ran a TB big enough for a 460, yeah the 454SS
Truck,