Traction Control

Len Sabatine sabatine at epix.net
Thu Sep 21 14:05:16 GMT 2000

At 10:11 PM 9/20/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Nothing labeled 'OPTION', is it one of the 50 or so 3 digit codes on the
>label?  I have a wire going to the top of the axle housing.  I don't have
>the ASR (acceleration slip reduction) option,  but I'd like to duplicate
>it's function if I can. Winter's coming
>soon.
>
>Bill
>       <snip>
>
>Bill ,  Your Z28  is not Equipped with ASR Hardware . Service Parts
>List  Label in glove box
>   would  indicate ( Acceleration Slip Regulation)  NW9  ( Hardware Option ).
    The Flash Calibration for NW9 is altered as well. ( more than  just the
Switch in the Editor ).

>    If   BOTH  rear axles have a reluctor / transducer on them , you have
> Traction Control.
>Non TC have 1 x 'ducer above ring gear , on top of axle housing. ( Your
>Vehicle )
   The only avenue to duplicate NW9 is retrofit the vehicle with all the
hardware in the NW9 Option.
It's easier and less expensive to change the torque converter;
>The production torque converter in F car A4 is very "tight stall "  2x
>torque multiplier. which is no help in slick operating conditions,
     We normally replace it with a custom built unit , which also removes
approx 15 lbs off the back of the crank . The
combination , combined with appropriate tires ,greatly improves control and
traction. ( Worth .3 - .5 off 1/4 mile ticket too )

FWIW

Len