ECM and BCM 88 Toronado

sapearso at rockwellcollins.com sapearso at rockwellcollins.com
Tue Aug 7 07:31:12 GMT 2001

As some of you know, I'm in the process of putting a Supercharged 3800 and
5-speed in an 88 Olds Trofeo. Have a few questions for the great minds of
this list.

Here's a few details on the project.
This car was originally equipped with a 1228253 ECM and is now being
swapped to a 16141470 to accomadate the supercharged engine. Anyone
familiar with these cars knows there's alot of wires in there and more than
one computer. Interfacing these is where my questions are today. To my
knowledge, this ECM was never used on a car equipped with a manual
transmission.

1) This ECM supports the cruise control. On the Toronados this is done by
the BCM. Is there any problem to just leaving the cruise inputs/outputs
open on the ECM and let the BCM continue to support this? I don't think the
BCM would take too kindly to having this function removed from it. It seems
pretty fussy.

2) There's going to be quite a bit of activity on the serial data line
between the BCM and dash. Is this going to confuse the ECM? Also are there
any precautions I should take when cutting/splicing into the serial data
line?

3) Looking through my schematics, it seems that with the 1228253 the ECM
receives it's VSS input from the BCM. Would there be any problem with
"T"ing into the line from the VSS to the BCM for the VSS inputs to the
16141470 ECM? Does the VSS have enough current to feed two boxes?

4) Since I'm converting to a manual transmission, what should I do with the
transmission inputs/outputs? Do I still need to tell the ECM if the
transmission is in gear or not? I'm going to have to do this to keep the
BCM happy, haven't figured out exactly how much info I'm going to have to
give it to keep it off my case (if it's not happy it says "ding" and
scrolls little annoying messages across the dash).

Thanks for the help.

Scott