00 or 01?

Marteney, Steven J. smarteney at xlvision.com
Mon Aug 13 13:37:03 GMT 2001

I don't think I would ever use $00 unless you are POSITIVE the code is data
only!  $00 is an opcode for TEST which is only valid in test mode only
(according to the Motorola HC11A8 Ref manual).  $01 is the opcode for a NOP.
The processor will happily bounce on over it and do nothing, just waste an
execution cycle.  If you happen to know the portion of code you are
overwriting is a branch type instruction use opcode $21, which is the branch
never instruction.  Of course, when deleting code with $01, make SURE you
replace all the data items to follow with $01 as well.  If you don't, you'll
hit an unwanted valid or invalid opcode and send the processor into lala
land and hopefully generate a watchdog reset or illegal opcode interrupt.
Don't what will happen driving down the road and have that happen.

HTH, Steve