WB vrs NB info

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Tue Aug 14 22:52:08 GMT 2001

> Hmm, I have the SAE 920234 on order, is that the one that has this info?
> If so, then I should be set. Once again Greg, thanks for the pointers.
> Brian
Yes, That SAE paper is the one. See figure 11 which shows the pressure
dependance. Yet, you asked for "real world" info so I will tell you
for what it is worth, my personal experience from datalogging back
pressure( turbine inlet pressure), manifold pressure , EGT , NTK wb
and reg O2 output.
The graph seems to suggest that the effect can be pretty big so I talked
to one of the developers of the SpeedPro ( now FAST ) system which uses
the NTK for closed loop control. He did a bunch of dyno tests on high hp
GN motor which had pretty high back pressures and he found very little
fuel flow difference when open loop or closed loop with the NTK which
if it had a big effect should have shown up in fuel flow.
My own tests showed similar results thus I believe it is one of those
things that do not seem to matter in the real world.

My own tests showed turbine back pressure to be a big HP killer. A revised
turbine housing frpm PTE on my Typhoon made measurable acceleration and
lower mat gains as documented by my seperate datalogger taking data at
50x/sec or faster.

Also did wb vs std o2 and as Bruce has reported from his tests, mine also
showed wb changing and std o2 steady and the reverse. Again real world,
not theory results.

regards,

Frank Parker